Q. How often should my tanks be pumped out?
A. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) recommends pumping systems every 3-5 years depending on the amount of usage.
Q. What type of chlorine should I use for wastewater disinfection?
A. Disinfection is required for secondarily treated wastewater effluent. It’s important to use a chlorine tablet that is made from calcium hypochlorite and is certified for wastewater disinfection by the EPA. Alternatively liquid bleach made from sodium hypochlorite is approved for disinfection of wastewater. Be sure to understand all safety precautions before handling the chlorine tablets.
Q. Can I use swimming pool tablets in my system for disinfection?
A. DO NOT use swimming pool tablets in your system as they are not designed for wastewater systems.
Q. What should I do if the system alarm sounds, a drain line is backing up, puddles of water are always on the ground, or there is a strong odor present?
A. Call the Coastal Aerobic Systems office. We do have an on-call service 7 days a week after regular business hours and during holidays.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Keep grass trimmed around tanks and disposal field for easy access.
- Control any fire ants around your system and electrical components. Check your system site regularly.
- Check chlorination system on a regular basis.
- Keep all toxic and hazardous chemicals out of the system.
- Maintain adequate vegetation as a cover over the spray area.
- Have the system inspected regularly by a licensed maintenance provider with Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).
- Throw away maps, drawings, and maintenance records of your system(These may be needed for future reference.)
- Put heavy vehicles and equipment on the spray area.
- Overload the system with heavy water usage. (Long showers, multiple loads of laundry back to back, etc.)
- Put any prescription medicine into your system.